Skip to content
Facts About Lucknow
- Lucknow is the capital city of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh and is also the administrative headquarters of the eponymous district and division.
- The city stands at an elevation of approximately 123 metres above sea level.
- Lucknow was founded by Lord Lakshmana after he was instructed by Lord Rama to build a city on his own.
- Historically, Lucknow was the capital of the Awadh region, controlled by the Delhi Sultanate and later the Mughal Empire.
- Lucknow is twinned with Brisbane, Australia.
- Lucknow is famous for various types of embroidery work. Chikankari, a 400-year-old embroidery art, is unique to Lucknow, the largest exporter of garments with Chikan embroidery.
- Hussainabad Clock Tower in Lucknow is the tallest clock tower in the country and has a total height of about 220 ft.
- Lucknow became independent from Britain on 15 August 1947.
- Lucknow is India’s first ‘CCTV City’.
- India’s longest race-course of 3.5km track length, Is situated in Lucknow.
- Lucknow is the first city in India to have connected an STD- Subscriber Trunk Dialing call.
- Lucknow has always been known as a multicultural city and flourished as a cultural and artistic capital of North India in the 18th and 19th centuries.
- The estimated population of Lucknow is 3.6 Million as of 2020.
- Lucknow is India’s second happiest city, Survey was done by electronics major LG and market research company IMRB International.
- Lucknow’s Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport is the world’s second-best airport in the small airport category.