20 Facts You Might Not Know About Barcelona
1. The only city in the world awarded a Royal Gold Medal for architecture by Royal Institute of British Architects, Barcelona is the first and only city on the planet to receive this honor.
2. Had no beaches until the 1992 Olympics, The seacoast was covered by industrial companies.
3. Driving in Barcelona is dangerous with an accident occurring in the city every 19 seconds.
4. Barcelona comes 4th on 2016’s ranking of Europe’s most visited cities
5. Every year, on 23rd April, Barcelona celebrates the patron saint of Catalonia with roses and books.
6. Opened in 2007 on Barcelona’s El Somorrostro beach, Icebarcelona is the world’s first ice bar located on the beach.
7. 68 parks, More than 10 percent of the city is covered by urban parks.
8. The first city in the world to gain the “Biosphere World Class Destination” certification
9. The most crowded street in Spain is Portal de l’Ange.
10. Sant Jordi’s day is the Catalan Valentines day
11. The Sagrada Familia has taken 200 years to build
12. The FC Barcelona museum is the most visited Museum in Barcelona
13. Barcelona has 12 abandoned Metro stations
14. Barcelona has 9 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
15. La Rambla is not just one street… it’s five streets
16. It is Europe’s largest metropolis on the Mediterranean coast
17. Fiestas de la Mercè is the most important festival in Barcelona
18. Montjuic Park is the largest park in Spain covering an area of 203 hectares
19. Barcelona was the first choice to build Eiffel Tower, but the project was rejected.
20. The Barri Gotic is the centre of old Barcelona and some of the buildings go back even to the Roman era.