20 Facts You Might Not Know About Barcelona
1. The only city in the world awarded a Royal Gold Medal for architecture by Royal Institute of British Architects, Barcelona is the first and only city on the planet to receive this honor.
2. Had no beaches until the 1992 Olympics, The seacoast was covered by industrial companies.
3. Driving in Barcelona is dangerous with an accident occurring in the city every 19 seconds.
4. Barcelona comes 4th on 2016’s ranking of Europe’s most visited cities
5. Every year, on 23rd April, Barcelona celebrates the patron saint of Catalonia with roses and books.
6. Opened in 2007 on Barcelona’s El Somorrostro beach, Icebarcelona is the world’s first ice bar located on the beach.
7. 68 parks, More than 10 percent of the city is covered by urban parks.
8. The first city in the world to gain the “Biosphere World Class Destination” certification
9. The most crowded street in Spain is Portal de l’Ange.
10. Sant Jordi’s day is the Catalan Valentines day
11. The Sagrada Familia has taken 200 years to build