25 Amazing & Interesting Fact about Amsterdam
Interesting and Amazing Facts about Amsterdam!
1. All over Amsterdam there are hidden water taps under the ground. They were installed in fear of a big disaster so we would always have drinking water.
2. Residents of Amsterdam are known as Amsterdammers.
3. Amsterdam is one of the top 25 safest cities in the world
4. Every year on average 10.000 bikes are dredged out of the Amsterdam canals.
5. Dutch people are the tallest people in the world.
6. Amsterdam is home to 872 bridges.
7. In Amsterdam there are 7 famous leaning houses in a row known as the Dancing Houses.
8. Amsterdam, and even half of the Netherlands, lies below sea level.
9. There are over 850,000 bikes in Amsterdam, which means they have more bikes than people.
10. Amsterdam is home to the world’s smallest movie cinema
11. There are over 2,500 houseboats
12. Amsterdam is the first city to allow gay marriage with regular rituals.
13. There are more women than men in Amsterdam
14. Amsterdam Stock Exchange is the oldest stock exchange in the world. It is located in the old city center.
15. The Nickname of Amsterdam is Mokum
16. The IATA Code for Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is AMS. The ICAO Code is EHAM.
17. The 36-story office tower Rembrandttoren, named after the painter, is 135 meters tall
18. Anne Frank’s diary is the most translated Dutch book. It was translated to 70 different languages and published in over 60 countries.
19. Amsterdam residents are the second largest consumers of coffee in the world.
20. The north side of Amsterdam is divided from the rest of the city by water
21. Amsterdam Is One of the Capitals with the Most Museums in the World
22. You can find over 1,500 Bars and Cafes in Amsterdam
23. There are 165 canals in Amsterdam
24. Amsterdam Is Full of Polyglots, that means the people of Amsterdam can speak two languages of more, in fact 86% of the people can speak more then one language
25. The Netherlands is the world’s biggest exporter of this popular intoxicant beer.