Facts About Thun Castle:
- Thun Castle was Built at the end of the 12th century by the Dukes of Zähringen.
- The castle museum is housed in the five floors of the tower and includes cultural and historic displays showing the development of the region over some 4,000 years.
- In 2006, the castle was bought by the city of Thun from the canton of Bern. Until the end of 2009, the Bernese Oberland regional court was based in the castle.
- The castle was the seat of the local court and since at least the 17th century there was a prison under the roof of the donjon. In 1886 a new prison was built on the castle grounds. Two years later, in 1888, the museum opened in the castle.
- Thun Castle is a Swiss heritage site of national significance.