Skip to content
Nine Arches Bridge Facts
- The Nine Arch Bridge also called the Bridge in the Sky, is a viaduct bridge in Sri Lanka.
- Nine Arch Bridge Total length is 300 ft.
- The designer of the viaduct was Harold Cuthbert Marwood of Railway Construction Department of Ceylon Government Railway.
- The construction of the bridge is generally attributed to a local Ceylonese builder, P. K. Appuhami, in consultation with British engineers.
- Nine Arch Bridge is one of the best examples of colonial-era railway construction in the country.
- The Nine Arch Bridge in Ella is on the Demodara loop and spans 91 meters at a height of 24m.
- The 1923 report titled “Construction of a Concrete Railway Viaduct in Ceylon” published by the Engineering Association of Ceylon has details of all the records including the plans and drawings.