Abbey of Saint-Remi Basilica
The Abbey of Saint-Remi was founded in the sixth century and consecrated by Pope Leo IX in 1049, its the oldest church in Remi and one of the finest in Northern France, built in Romanesque style. The archbishops of Reims and several princes, Carloman, brother of Charlemagne, Henri and kings Louis IV of France and Lothair were buried in the monastery.
The Romanesque and gothic style gives it the basilica its unique look, having one side of the nave in Romanesque and the other side with gothic style, the basilica has some vertical elements but still retains the layers of horizontal solidity that is characterised Romanesque architecture.
During World War I, the building was significantly damaged, it was rebuilt from the ruins in the next 40 years, the restoration project was done by architect Henri Deneux.
Valuable objects were looted from the abbey in the French Revolution and the Holy Ampulla of the coronation of the kings of France that was kept in the abbey was destroyed, however, the 12th century stained glass remained intact.
Opposite the St. Remi Basilica, at 53, Rue Simon is the Saint Rémi Museum. It contains collections of Gallo-Roma artefacts, as well as Napoleon-era weapons. The museum tells the story of Rheims, starting with prehistory. It contains some remarkable Roman mosaics, including this enormous depiction of gladiators. The museum costs 3 euros for admission.
The Saint Remi Basilica is located only 1 mile away from the cathedral. the Abbey is almost as large as the Cathedral.
The Abbey of Saint-Remi became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1991.
Abbey of Saint-Remi Basilica Contact Information
Telephone: +33 3 26 85 31 20 | Official Website |
How To Get There
Gare de Reims and Maison Blanche train stations are 20 -30 minutes away from the abbey, we highly recommend getting the taxi from the station. save yourself a lot of time.
Travelling from Paris to Saint Remi Basilica: Take Quai de l’Hôtel de Ville, Quai Henri IV, Quai de la Rapée and Quai de Bercy to A4 in Charenton-le-Pont 11 min (5.3 km), Follow A4 to Avenue de Champagne/D951 in Reims. Take exit 25-Reims – Saint Remi from A344 1 h 19 min (139 km), Continue on Avenue de Champagne. Take Avenue Saint-Pol to Rue du Châtelet.
|Monday||02:00 PM – 06:30 PM|
|Tuesday||02:00 PM – 06:30 PM|
|Wednesday||02:00 PM – 06:30 PM|
|Thursday||02:00 PM – 06:30 PM|
|Friday||02:00 PM – 06:30 PM|
|Saturday||02:00 PM – 07:00 PM|
|Sunday||02:00 PM – 07:00 PM|
Closed dates: 1st of January, 1st of May,14th of July, 1st of November, 11th of November, and 25th of December.
|Seniors and Youth||€3|
|Children Under 6||Free Entry|
|Free admission||first Sunday of every month|
- Inscription 199
- The average duration of an individual visit: 30 minutes.
- Historical sites and monuments
- founded in the sixth century
WHERE TO STAY IN REIMS
Nearby places to stay as cheap as possible budget under £100/$100/€100:
- Holiday Inn Reims Centre Located just 400 yards from Reims Convention Centre, Holiday Inn Reims Centre is ideally located in the historic centre of Reims, and it features the only panoramic restaurant in Reims and a bar. check price.
- La Demeure des Sacres Located in the centre of Reims, La Demeure des Sacres is set in a 20th-Century property and offers boutique-style accommodation with a large garden. The Reims Cathedral is just 350 yards from the B&B and Reims Convention Centre is a 10-minute walk away. check price.
- Logis Hôtel Au Tambour Located 1,000 yards from Reims city centre, this Logis Hotel is just a 15-minute walk from the town centre, train station and Reims Champagne Congrès. It offers a heated outdoor swimming pool and private parking in garages. Check Price.
Nearby places to stay at a budget price over £100:
- Grand Hôtel Des Templiers located in Reims, just a 15-minute walk to the city centre and an 8-minute drive from Reims Convention Centre. It features an indoor swimming pool and a sauna. Check Price.
- Les Suites Champenoises is set in Tinqueux in the Champagne – Ardenne Region, 2.7 miles from Reims city centre. Offering 2 sun terraces and a hot tub. Check Price
Visiting Reims? We have other posts that you may enjoy that will be helpful on your trip.
Address: Rue Saint-Julien, 51100 Reims, France | Coordinates: 49°14′35″N 4°02′31″E
PIN IT FOR LATER!