Buckingham Palace is the Queen’s official and principal imperial London home. It’s been the official London home of Britain’s monarchy since 1837. Buckingham Palace is not the home of the Queen and Prince Philip, but also the London home of their Duke of York and their Earl and Countess of Wessex and their daughter. Buckingham Palace is utilised for the administrative work for the monarchy. It is here from the country apartments that Her Majesty receives and entertains guests invited to their Palace. Buckingham Palace initially was a grand home-built by their Dukes of Buckingham for his spouse.
George IV began transforming it into a palace from 1826. The Queen has other houses also Such as Windsor Castle and Balmoral in Scotland. When the Queen is at home, it is possible to see her imperial flag flying from their flag pole to top of Buckingham Palace. The first and 4th quadrants represent England and contain 3 golden lions walking on a red field, their next quadrant represents Scotland includes a red lion standing on their left-wing foot on a gold field, the 3rd quadrant represents Ireland and comprises the golden coat of arms of Ireland to a blue area.
It must just be flown from buildings in which the Queen is current. It flies over the British Union Flag, Standards of additional Royal members of the family, Together with other British flags. They wear red jackets and tall, furry hats Known as bearskins. When the very first guards come on duty, there’s a ceremony Known as the Changing of the Guard. A family show at Buckingham Palace is their Changing of their Guard ceremony that takes place in their forecourt every morning. The monarch and the imperial palaces have been guarded by their Household Troops because 1660. The Palace has about 600 rooms, Such as 19 Staterooms, 52 imperial and guest bedrooms, 78 bathrooms, 92 offices, a cinema and a swimming pool. About 400 people work in the Palace, Such as domestic servants, chefs, footmen, cleaners, plumbers, gardeners, chauffeurs, electricians, and two individuals who look after the 300 clocks. Every year, more than 50, 000 people come to the Palace every year as guests to banquets, lunches, dinners, receptions, and Royal Garden Parties. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms Such as 19 country rooms, 52 imperial and guest bedrooms, 188 staff bedrooms, 92 offices and 78 bathrooms.
Telephone: 0303 123 7300 | Official Website |
How To Get There
- By Bus: Bus numbers 11, 211, C1 and C10 stop on Buckingham Palace Road.
- By Train: London Victoria 7 mins from Buckingham Palace or London Charing Cross stations.
- By Foot: Piccadilly Circus to Buckingham Palace is a 15 minute walk and 25 minutes walk from the London eye.
please note: opening hours during holiday season might be different, please check on the official website for more details
Facts about Buckingham Palace
- When the Queen is at home, you can see her royal flag flying from the flag pole on top of Buckingham Palace. This flag is called the Royal Standard.
- Five regiments of Foot Guards guard the Palace. They wear red jackets and furry hats, don’t worry the guns they hold are not armed.
- There is a ceremony called the Changing of the Guard, it takes place every time the first guards come on duty.
- Since 1660, the Household troops have been guarding the royal palace.
- Queen Victoria was the first monarch to live at Buckingham Palace.
Admission is by timed ticket . Tickets are valid only on the date and at the entrance time specified on the ticket. A visit lasts between 2 and 2 hours 30 minutes.
Audio tours are included in the admission price. Photography is not permitted inside the State Rooms.
Address: Westminster, London SW1A 1AA