Fort Napoleon in Ostend is one of the last remaining polygonal forts from the Napoleonic era, between 1811-1815. Since 1995 the fort is maintained by the Heritage Flanders that opened the museum to the public after five years of restoration.
Towards the end of the 18th century, France under Napoleon’s rule annexed the Austrian Netherlands and in 1793 during the war of the Fifth Coalition, Napolean Bonaparte expected Britain attack from the sea on the port of Ostend and Ordered a fort to be built in the sand dunes close to the mouth of the Harbour, However, the British attack never happened and the fort was used for troops accommodation and as an arsenal until the end of the French Occupation in 1814, It was then abandoned.
During World War 1 and World War 2, the fort was used as accommodation for a German Headquarters.
The Napoleon Fort is currently being used as an open monument for everyone to visit and learn about its history. The redeveloped fort has facilities for conferences, product launches, corporate events and a museum.
Looking for Walk Tours in Oostende, Belgium? There are entire books with self-guided walking tours.
Here some of our favourite.
Fort Napoleon Contact Information
Telephone: +32 59 32 00 48 | Official Website |
How To Get There
Fort Napoleon is located on the Oosteroever at Royal Baan, N34 Oostende, GPS coordinates 51.141974 ° N 2.56596 ° E., a car park is available nearby.
Travelling by public transport: from the Ostend, NMBS station take the coastal tram towards Knokke and get off at Duin aan Zee Stop.
|Wednesday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Thursday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Friday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Saturday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Sunday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Ticket Type||Non-member||Herita member|
|Junior 3 – 11 years old||€4||€2|
|Under 3 Years old||Free Entry||Free Entry|
|Over 65 Years old||€7||€5|
|Persons with disabilities||€6||€5|
|Groups over 12 Years old||€5||€5|
|Groups under 11 years old||€2||€1|
- Established in 1811.
- Type: Military Museum.
- Dogs are not allowed.
WHERE TO STAY IN Ostend
Nearby places to stay as cheap as possible budget under £100/$100/€100:
- Hotel Ambassadeur, only a 5-minute walk from Oostende Beach, a lively touristic area with shops and restaurants. It offers newly renovated rooms with flat-screen TVs and a fish specialities restaurant on site. Check Price
- Hotel Rubens, only a 4-minute walk from Oostende Beach, The accommodation offers a terrace. property is located 750 yards from Casino Kursaal. Check Price
- Avenue Beach Hotel, Only 4-minute walk from Oostende Beach! Located only 300 yards from the sandy North Sea beach in Oostende, Avenue Beach Hotel offers rooms with free Wi-Fi in the centre of town. Check Price
Nearby places to stay at a budget price of £200 – £400:
- Hôtel Bero, only a 3-minute walk from Oostende Beach! Hotel Bero is only 150 yards from the beach in the centre of Oostende and benefits from a modern bar. An indoor swimming pool, a sauna and a steam bath are available in Ninfea Leisure Centre on site. Check Price
- Logis Hotel Glenmore, Glenmore Thalasso & Spa is located at the Belgian Seaside, only 50 yards from the sandy beach in Oostende. It features a fitness area and wellness facilities and offers rooms with a free breakfast buffet. Check Price
Visiting Oostende? We have other posts that you may enjoy that will be helpful on your trip.
Address: Vuurtorenweg 13, 8400 Oostende, Belgium | Coordinations: 51.141974°N 2.56596°E
[su_button url=”https://www.isolatedtraveller.com/european-cities/Ostend” style=”flat” background=”#000000″ size=”6″ wide=”yes” center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right”]Explore Ostend[/su_button]
Enjoyed this post? Save it for later on Pinterest! Share the Love