Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art is situated on the royal exchange square and displays works by international and local artists and even the tension and complexities of our contemporary society via it’s major biannual projects.
The Modern art gallery opened in 1996 and housed in a neoclassical building, the building was first built in 1778 as a townhouse of William Cunninghame of Lainshaw, who was a wealthy Tobacco Lord in Glasgow.
Before the building was turned in to a Art Gallery, it was used by the Royal Bank of Scotland, which later got moved onto Buchanan Street, then became a Royal Exchange; the building was in the centre for business and commercial exchange, where goods and information were traded and in 1954, the Glasgow District Libraries moved the Stirling Library in to this building, later the library got moved again to Miller Street and the building received a major refurbishment to house the Modern Art Gallery.
Gallery of Modern Art is the most visited Modern art Gallery in Scotland. it offers its visitors stories and experiences by collecting, identifying and showing important work of its artists.
The gallery specialising in artists whose issues, impacts and interests are shared by those in Glasgow.
- Polygraphs (17 February – 20 May 2018/ Entry: Free/Open during regular hours)
- Stephen Sutcliffe: Work from the Collection (22 September 2017- 21 January 2018)
You can find a library, a cafe and free internet access as well as extensive collections of art and design books, alongside its general books.
Telephone: 0141 287 3005 | Official Website | Twitter | Facebook
How to get here:
- Subway: Five minutes walk from St Enoch Subway Station
- Train Station: Five minutes walk from Queens Street train Station & Argyle Street & Glasgow Central
- Walking: located on Royal Exchange Square, In the city centre, 5 to 10 minutes walk from any where in the city.
- Bus: any buss that goes to Glasgow city centre.
Opening Hours – Free Admission
|Monday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Thursday||10:00 AM – 8:00 PM|
|Friday||11:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Saturday||10:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Sunday||11:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
Closed on: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve and 1 and 2 January.
Address: Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow G1 3AH