Jardin des Plantes de Montpellier translates to Garden plants Montpellier in English, is a botanical garden and one of the oldest botanical gardens in Europe and the oldest in France, created in 1593 by the order of Henri IV for Pierre Richer de Belleval, who was a young doctor. The garden became a model of innovation for herbalism.
In 1622, during the siege of Montpellier by the army of Louis XIII the Botanical garden was wrecked. It was restored in 1629 and was later given to the University of Montpellier to manage the garden. Jardin des Plantes de Montpellier is owned by the state.
Jardin des Plantes de Montpellier was intended for medical students to become acquainted with medicinal plants. Today the Garden is used for scientific function and public garden for all visitors to enjoy.
The Botanical Garden has around two thousand six hundred eighty plant species, including five hundred of which are native to the Mediterranean region and two thousand species are grown outdoors. Major areas of the Botanical Garden:
|Palm trees||Arboretum||Systematic garden|
|Greenhouse||Naturalized plants||Montagne de Richer|
|Succulents||Orangery and cold greenhouse||Medicinal plants|
Looking for Walk Tours in Montpellier? There are entire books with self-guided walking tours.
Here some of our favourite.
Telephone: +33 4 34 43 36 20 | Official Website |
How to get there
- By Tram: line 1 Albert 1st stop.
- By Bus: Bus Service 6, 7 or 16 and exit at “Peyrou” stop.
- Parking Available at ‘bd Henri IV Paying parking lot’.
|Tuesday||12:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Wednesday||12:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Thursday||12:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Friday||12:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Saturday||12:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Sunday||12:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
Free Entry / Entrée libre
- The Garden covers 11 acres.
- Founded in 1593.
- 2,500 plants species.
Where to Stay In Montpellier
Nearby places to stay as cheap as possible: budget under £100/$100/€100.
- Best Western Hotel Le Guilhem, A16th-century residence located in Montpellier, next to the Jardin des Plantes, with panoramic views of the garden and St Peter’s Cathedral. is in close proximity to the Place de la Canorgue and Peyrou Promenade. check price
- Hotel du Palais, situated 200 yards from the Peyrou Gardens and 150 yards from Place de la Canourgue, set in a 200-year old building. The hotel is 650 yards from Place de la Comédie, 0.6 miles from The Corum conference centre and 0.6 miles from Montpellier Train Station. Montpellier – Mediterranee Airport is 5.6 miles away. Check Price
- Appartement de l’Amandier, Located in Montpellier historic centre, Appartement de l’Amandier offers self-catering accommodation. The property is 150 yards from Promenade du Peyrou Park, 550 yards from Montpellier National Opera and 900 yards from Polygone shopping centre. Montpellier Train Station is 750 yards away. Check Price
Nearby places to stay at a budget price over £100/$100/€100+.
- Résidence Coeur Comédie, a 3-minute walk from Place de la Comédie.Mediterranee Airport is located 5.6 miles from the property. Résidence Coeur Comédie offers self-catering accommodation in Montpellier. Check Price
- Villa Cyrano, a 3-minute walk from Corum, 750 yards from the Fabre Museum and 1,000 yards from Place de la Comédie. Private parking is available on site. Housed in a 19th-century building, Stade Yves-du-Manoir is 4.3 miles from Villa Cyrano, while Montpellier – Mediterranee Airport is 5.6 miles from the property. Check Price.
Visiting Montpellier, France? We have other posts that you may enjoy that will be helpful on your trip.
- Montpellier Zoological Park
- Porte du Peyrou Monument
- 10 Interesting Facts About Montpellier
Address: Boulevard Henri IV, 34000 Montpellier, France | Coordinations: 43.6143°N 3.8717°E
[su_button url=”https://www.isolatedtraveller.com/european-cities/Montpellier” style=”flat” background=”#000000″ size=”6″ wide=”yes” center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right”]Explore the city of Montpellier[/su_button]