McManus Galleries is located in a Gothic style building, designed by Architect George Gilbert Scott.
George Gilbert Scott was known as an expert on medieval churches and advocate of the Gothic architectural style.
The McManus Gallery has 8 galleries, which are laid out on 2 floors, you can explore through out 400 million years and how small settlements developed into the a City.
You can explore stunning paintings, early man with in the dundee area, industries past and present with decorative art work, some of the collection are recognised as national significance.
eight gallery themes:
(description of each theme was taken from the McManus Gallery description)
- Here and Now: The majority of the exhibitions feature contemporary arts and crafts, but other subject areas, such as social or natural history, may be featured
- The Long Gallery: It explores some of the processes that have created the stunning pieces on display and shares some of the inspirations behind the creation of individual ceramics.
- 20th Century Gallery: This Gallery will showcase the City’s nationally significant collection of twentieth century art through a series of annually changing displays.
- Landscapes and Lives: Explore the lives of early man and see how a small settlement developed
- Making of Modern Dundee: Experience the influences that shaped Dundee from the 1850s right up to the present day.
- What is a Museum: collections give us fascinating insights into peoples lives, tastes and environment.
- Dundee and the World: The exhibits are grouped around four central themes – Military, Missionary, Merchant and Mystery
- Victoria Gallery: The original curved red walls, vaulted glass ceiling, ornamental plaster-work and varnished dados create an impressive setting for the City’s
Telephone number: +44 1382 307200
Website: themcmanus dundee
[su_box title=”Opening Hours”]
Monday 10:00 AM–5:00 PM
Tuesday 10:00 AM–5:00 PM
Wednesday 10:00 AM–5:00 PM
Thursday 10:00 AM–5:00 PM
Friday 10:00 AM–5:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM–5:00 PM
Sunday 12:30 PM –4:30 PM
Address: Albert Square, Meadowside, Dundee DD1 1DA, UK