Montpellier Zoological Park is the largest zoo park in Montpellier and second largest zoo in France. With its eighty hectares, two ponds and fifty-two enclosures. The Montpellier Zoo has fifty-two mammals species, fifteen reptilian species, thirty bird species with a total of one thousand three hundred and fifty animals and one hundred forty-one animal species.
In 1910, Henri de Lunaret bequeathed the La Vallette Estate to the city of Montpellier and in 1960, M. Doumenge, the oceanographer and deputy mayor, outlined the original boundaries of the future Montpellier Zoological Park with the manager of the estate, Mr Pelissier. In 1964 the zoo opened to the public, thanks to veterans Harkis who built the zoo. Since then the Montpellier Zoo opened a children’s farm in 1982 and in 2000, established the Nature reserve du Lez. In 2001 three major enclosures were made: the Bears of Syria, White Rhinos and the Atlas Lions.
In 2007, the Amazonian greenhouse opened as part of the Montpellier Zoo. The Amazonian greenhouse represents seven climatic zones and habitats with a large aviary and artificial rainstorm to simulate the rainforest environment. The Amazonian greenhouse has over five hundred animals and eight thousand plants with over three hundred different species, thirty-four species of palm trees, ninety-five different types of trees and fifteen species of tree ferns.
- Animal Collection includes armadillos, caymans, ibises, bats, ants, tarantulas, anteaters, ocelots piranhas, tamarins and many more.
- Plants collection includes Cattleya mossiae, Heliconia angusta, Acrosticum aureum & ferrierense, Canna indica, Polypodium polypodioides, Hibiscus elatus, Xanthosoma violaceum and many more.
On March 24th, 2011, a plaque honouring the Harkis veterans was installed on the entrance wall of the zoo.
Looking for Walk Tours in Montpellier? There are entire books with self-guided walking tours.
Here some of our favourite.
|Tuesday||9:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Wednesday||9:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Thursday||9:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Friday||9:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Saturday||9:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Sunday||9:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|children under 6, social minims||Free Entry|
|Party of 10||€40|
- Opened: 1964
- Area: 148 acres
- No. of animals 500
- No. of species 300
- Land area 2,600 m2
Where to Stay In Montpellier
Nearby places to stay as cheap as possible: budget under £100/$100/€100.
- Best Western Hotel Le Guilhem, A16th-century residence located in Montpellier, next to the Jardin des Plantes, with panoramic views of the garden and St Peter’s Cathedral. is in close proximity to the Place de la Canorgue and Peyrou Promenade. check price
- Hotel du Palais, situated 200 yards from the Peyrou Gardens and 150 yards from Place de la Canourgue, set in a 200-year old building. The hotel is 650 yards from Place de la Comédie, 0.6 miles from The Corum conference centre and 0.6 miles from Montpellier Train Station. Montpellier – Mediterranee Airport is 5.6 miles away. Check Price
- Appartement de l’Amandier, Located in Montpellier historic centre, Appartement de l’Amandier offers self-catering accommodation. The property is 150 yards from Promenade du Peyrou Park, 550 yards from Montpellier National Opera and 900 yards from Polygone shopping centre. Montpellier Train Station is 750 yards away. Check Price
Nearby places to stay at a budget price over £100/$100/€100+.
- Résidence Coeur Comédie, a 3-minute walk from Place de la Comédie.Mediterranee Airport is located 5.6 miles from the property. Résidence Coeur Comédie offers self-catering accommodation in Montpellier. Check Price
- Villa Cyrano, a 3-minute walk from Corum, 750 yards from the Fabre Museum and 1,000 yards from Place de la Comédie. Private parking is available on site. Housed in a 19th-century building, Stade Yves-du-Manoir is 4.3 miles from Villa Cyrano, while Montpellier – Mediterranee Airport is 5.6 miles from the property. Check Price.
Visiting Nice, France? We have other posts that you may enjoy that will be helpful on your trip.
Address: 50 Avenue Agropolis, 34090 Montpellier, France
Coordination: 43°36′43″N 3°52′38″E