The Museum of Fine Arts of Lyon is situated near place des Terreaux in a former Benedictine convent of the 17th and 18th centuries. the building is located in the heart of Lyon, between the Rhône and Saône rivers. The Museum is housed in a 17th-century palace that was designed for the Royal Abbess des Dames de Saint-Pierre and was later renovated by Louis XIV of France in the 17th and 18th centuries.
The Museum of Fine Arts of Lyon has over 70 rooms displaying one of the finest art collections in France with over 600 Ancient Egyptian pieces, second largest Numismatic collection in France and rare Asian Ceramics. Out of the 70 plus rooms, 35 rooms are dedicated to European paintings from classic artists such as Rembrandt, El Greco, Renoir, and Picasso. The artwork, ancient antiquities, and other collections have been gathered by collectors, donors and the descendants of artists.
Telephone: +33 4 72 10 17 40| Official Website |
How to get there
- Metro Lines: A and C, “Hôtel de Ville – Louis Pradel” station
- Bus Lines: 1, 3, 6, 13, 18, 19, 44
- Parking in: Terreaux, Hôtel de Ville – Louis Pradel
- Vélov’ Station: 1001 – Terreaux / Terme – Terme, on the corner of Rue d’Algérie; 1020 – Terreaux / Chenavard – Rue Chenavard on the Place des Terreaux side; 1021 – Herriot / Pizay – in front of no. 3, corner of Rue Pizay; 1005 – Meissonnier – southeast corner of the square.
|Monday||10:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Wednesday||10:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Thursday||10:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Friday||10:30 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Saturday||10:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Sunday||10:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Full Price||Reduced Rate|
|Collection & Exhibitions||€12.00||€7.00|
Free for visitors who present their Museum card or for those who are exempt from the entrance fee. An audio guide for the collections is available at the entrance and the price is including in the entry ticket.
- Established: 1801
- The second largest medal collection in France
- Wheelchair access
- Recommended Duration: 2 hours
- Parking: Lot parking available
- five sections are distributed throughout 70 rooms
Address: 20 Place des Terreaux, 69001 Lyon, France | Coordinates: 45.766846°N 4.83363°E