The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris is known as Sacré-Cœur Basilica is a roman catholic church and a minor basilica built in 1914 and dedicated to the sacred heart of Jesus. The basilica was consecrated after the end of World War I in 1919, its one of the most iconic monuments in Paris situated at the top of the Butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city, offering spectator panoramic views of Paris.
The Basilica beautiful white colour hasn’t changed despite the weather and pollution due to the travertine stone, which has an exceptional quality to preserve its colour.
The Cathedral was built to honour those who lost their lives during the French Revolution and the Franco-Prussian War and to inspire faith in the French people who lived and struggled during the hard times.
The underground crypt entrance is marked by two bronze doors on the west front. Inside the crypt are large arches, designed in austere style. various chapels and statues can be found inside the crypt: the columns of this chapel support the apse of the basilica; the chapels is that of Saint Peter, Saint Theresa prayed in the crypt in 1887.
Climbing to the top of the Dome gives you a perfect 360° view of Paris and the surrounding landmarks, you will be around 400 meters height. The tower has one of the largest bells in France, weighing 19 tons, called La Savoyarde.
On the Hillside park near the Basilica, you will find the perfect place to have a picnic and a beautiful view of the Sacré-Cœur.
Sacré-Cœur, Paris Contact Information
Looking for Walk Tours in Paris, France? There are entire books with self-guided walking tours.
Here some of our favourite.
|Lonely Planet Pocket Paris (Travel Guide)||Paris Pocket Map and Guide (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)||The Rough Guide to Paris (Rough Guides)|
How To Get There
Metro Line 12 stops at Lamarck – Caulaincourt and Abbesses, Both stops take around 8 minutes by walk to the Basilica. Metro Line 4 stops at Château Rouge, takes around 9 minutes to walk from the line to the Basilica. Metro Line 2 stops at Anvers and Pigalle.
The basilica is accessible by bus. Buses 30, 31, 80, and 85 can be taken to the bottom of the hill of the basilica.
Funiculaire de Montmartre Cable cars are available to transport you from the base of the church grounds to the Entrance of the Basilica.
|Monday||6:00 AM – 10:30 PM|
|Tuesday||6:00 AM – 10:30 PM|
|Wednesday||6:00 AM – 10:30 PM|
|Thursday||6:00 AM – 10:30 PM|
|Friday||6:00 AM – 10:30 PM|
|Saturday||6:00 AM – 10:30 PM|
|Sunday||6:00 AM – 10:30 PM|
Must be registered for night adorations, to access the church after 11:00 PM. The Bell Tower is not open to visitors. Reservation is not needed for group visits.
In order to maintain silence for prayer, there are no guided tours of the interior of the Basilica. A guidebook is available in several languages at the Basilica bookshop.
- Affiliation: Roman Catholic.
- Province: Archdiocese of Paris.
- Year consecrated: 1919.
- Architects: Paul Abadie, Lucien Magne, Honoré Daumet, Charles Laisné, Henri-Pierre-Marie Rauline, Jean-Louis Hulot.
- Architectural styles: Ancient Roman architecture, Byzantine architecture.
- Groundbreaking in 1875.
- Completed in 1914.
- Length: 85 metres (279 ft).
- Width: 35 metres (115 ft).
- Height (max): 83 metres (272 ft).
- Materials: Travertine stone.
Things to do Nearby
The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris is near the Dalí Paris, holds a Permanent exhibition of Salvador Dali’s Surrealist art, with a focus on sculptures and engravings, four minutes walk from the Basilica. Halle Saint-Pierre is an Art Museum for contemporary & experimental paintings & graphic art, plus avant-garde concerts, five minutes walk from the Basilica.
WHERE TO STAY IN PARIS
Nearby places to stay as cheap as possible budget under £100:
- Oops! Latin quarter by Hiphophostels: Oops boutique Hostel offers hostel accommodation in the 13th district in Paris, a 5-minute walk from Place d’Italie and its’ shopping centre. Check Price
- Villa Toscane: is located in the 15th district of Paris. The hotel’s restaurant serves traditional dishes and fish specialities for dinner. Volontaires Metro Station (Line 12) is just 100 yards away and gives you direct access to Montmartre and the Champs Elysées. Check Price
- Hotel de L’Union: in the 20th district of Paris. All of the rooms feature parquet floors, minibar and free WiFi access. Maraîchers Metro Station is just a few steps away from the property and will take you directly to Opera Garnier and Avenue des Champs Elysées via the line 9. Check Price
Nearby places to stay at a budget price over £200+:
- Saint James Paris: Located a 20-minute walk from the Champs Elysées, the Saint-James Paris is situated in an elegant 19th-century building set in its own private garden. Spa facilities in partnership with Guerlain are available on site. Maraîchers Metro Station is just a few steps away from the property and will take you directly to Opera Garnier and Avenue des Champs Elysées via the line 9. Check Price
- Shangri-La Hotel: A former residence of Prince Roland Bonaparte and listed in the French “Monuments Historiques”, Shangri-La Hotel, Paris is a hotel palace located across the Seine and facing the Eiffel Tower. Some rooms and suites at Shangri-La Hotel, Paris offer stunning and unique views of the Eiffel Tower. Three restaurants, overseen by the Michelin starred Chef Christophe Moret, offer both a French and Asian cuisine including the 2 Michelin stars French Restaurant “L’Abeille” and France only Chinese Michelin star restaurant “Le Shang Palace”. Check Price
- The Westin Paris Vendôme: situated in central Paris, overlooks the Jardin des Tuileries and the Eiffel Tower. It has a fitness centre and a Spa with massage treatments. The elegant air-conditioned rooms have a modern décor and city or garden views. The restaurant offers gourmet cuisine and continental breakfast served in the chic dining area or in the stylish courtyard. Check Price.
Visiting Paris, France? We have other posts that you may enjoy that will be helpful on your trip.
Address: 35 Rue du Chevalier de la Barre, 75018 Paris, France | Coordinates: 48°53′12.1″N 2°20′34.8″E
Pin It For Later!